"I love that the C/J Department offers various opportunities for us to get involved on and off campus in our given major, allowing us to gain experience immediately, and build up our resumes while in college."
Reesha Quinones-Smith '14
Requirements for the class of 2015 and beyond (37 credits)
Required Courses (10 credits)
- Introduction to Mass Communication (COMM 100)
- Multimedia Writing (COMM 295)
- Communication Careers Seminar (COMM 322 - 1 credit course)
- Senior Seminar (COMM 420)
Media Perspectives (3 credits) Choose one. Others may be taken as electives.
- Media Issues (COMM 205)
- P1 Visual Communication (COMM 220)
- History of Television and Radio (COMM 264)
- Introduction to Public Relations (COMM 270)
- Introduction to Advertising (COMM 281)
- Media Literacy (COMM 326)
- Media Law (COMM 346)
- International Communication (COMM 347)
- Emergent Media & Web Culture (COMM 367)
Oral Presentation (3 credits) Choose one.
Others may be taken as electives.
- Speech Communication (COMM 250)
- Public Speaking (COMM 353)
- Interviewing (COMM 354)
Visual Presentation (3 credits) Choose one. Others may be taken as electives.
- Introduction to Video Production (COMM 231)
- Digital Media.Social Media (COMM 263)
- Design & Publishing (COMM 309)
- Television Production* (COMM 332)
- Photography for the Media (COMM 334)
- Web Design (COMM 369)
- Advanced Video Production * (COMM 431)
- Advanced Web Design* (COMM 468)
* These three courses have prerequisites and typically are not used to fulfill this requirement,
counting as electives instead. However, students with transfer credit
may be able to use one of them to fulfill the Visual Presentation requirement.
Electives (18 credits)
A wide selection of conceptual and skills-based courses may be taken to fulfill elective requirements.
Students are not required, but are strongly encouraged, to complete one or two internships
for elective credit. COMM 199 does not fulfill any major requirements.